- This event has passed.
Apply to the McNulty Scholars Program for Leadership in Science
Thanks to continued funding from the John P. & Anne Welsh McNulty Foundation, we are now recruiting undergraduate Hunter College female students for the 2022–2023 John P. McNulty Scholars Program for Leadership in Science and Math at Hunter College. The McNulty Scholars Program aims to encourage science and math students to aspire to leadership positions across industry and academia. Applications are due March 13, 2022.
McNulty Scholars must work in a research lab at Hunter or a nearby institution (e.g., Belfer, Rockefeller, Memorial-Sloan Kettering, American Museum of Natural History) for at least 8–10 hours per week. A research lab does not need to be identified at the time the application is submitted. Additional requirements include attending biweekly leadership workshops and presenting at the Hunter College Undergraduate Research Conference.
McNulty Scholars are supported for up to two years at $6,000 per year and receive financial support to participate in one scientific conference per academic year. Faculty mentors also receive $500 per year lab expenses.
Candidates for this program will be outstanding undergraduate women who meet the following criteria:
- Full-time student
- Declared major in a STEM field such as biology, biochemistry, chemistry, computer science, mathematics, statistics, physics, or psychology-neuroscience concentration
- Starting their junior or senior year in the Fall 2022 or have at least 60 credits. We prioritize applicants with two years remaining at Hunter (expected graduation May 2024), but we may accept a small number who are planning to graduate in May 2023.
Students will be evaluated based on:
- Demonstrated interest in STEM research and/or interest in pursuing post-graduate education in a STEM field.
- Ability to commit 8–10 hours/week to research and McNulty program activities.
- Transcript and GPA.
- Demonstrated maturity and leadership in academic and/or community activities and an interest in continued leadership activities.
To apply, students must submit transcripts and answers to essay questions via the Hunter McNulty Scholars webpage.
Students should also arrange to have a letter of recommendation from a faculty member, instructor, administrator, or active scientist in a research lab sent to email@example.com by March 13, 2022. The letter should describe the relationship to the student, and address the students’ fit for the program. If selected students are not already conducting research in a lab, we may ask the recommender to assist in finding a lab placement.
COMPLETED APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY SUNDAY, MARCH 13, 2022.
Finalists will be selected for an interview.
Scholars are selected based on merit and not financial need. Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or are unable to complete the application by the deadline.