Before coming to campus, be sure to be vaccinated or be tested.
Childcare Restart Guide
Hunter College Children’s Learning Center (CLC) currently operates a licensed facility under the New York State Department of Health. The facility is located on the second floor of Hunter College’s North Building and will be made available to vaccinated faculty and students, and staff as capacity permits.
CLC hours are 8am to 4pm for preschool children, Monday through Friday and, from 3:30pm to 7:00 for school age children Monday through Thursday.
The CLC license at full capacity provides for 40 pre-school and 13 after-school children, totaling 53 children.
All CLC staff signing in as soon as they enter the center.
All personal belongings are stored inside their lockers.
Following CDC recommended guidelines they wash their hands and then proceed to their assigned area.
Masks are optional for all ages (if there are no concerning increases in transmission).
Parents sign in at the CLC entrance, and then proceed to drop off their children in their respective classroom.
In each individual classroom, a staff member will perform a daily visual health check of each child. If the child does not pass the health check, the child will not be permitted to attend.
Parents will assist their children in toileting and hand washing.
If the parent and/or child are not feeling well, they should stay home.
The staff members retrieve their belongings, wash hands, and sign out at the end of their shifts.
When children are ready to be picked up to go home, the front desk staff will notify the classroom teacher via phone intercom to bring the child and their belongings to the front door. The parent then proceed to sign the child/children out.
The CLC classrooms are set up and ready for the children fully participate in the ongoing daily activities.
Throughout the day materials and equipment are sanitize after each use.
The children do hand washing after each activity.
- Staff and children will wash their hands before and after mealtimes.
- Tables will be cleaned before and after mealtimes.
- Employees will serve the children the snack.
- Children will use a paper/plastic lunch bag or container with the child’s name clearly labeled on the outside of the lunch container. All items inside the lunch bag must also be clearly labeled with the child’s name.
- After eating all children must wash their hands.
- All service ware that was taken out of the kitchen and used for service is cleaned as usual with the soap/water/sanitizer method.
- Employees need to wash their hands when finished cleaning.
- Pillows, toys, stuffed animals, or any type of soft sleeping toy that comes from home will not be permitted in the classrooms.
- Blankets and cot sheets will be taken home to be laundered once a week.
- Cots will be cleaned and sanitized after each use.
The CLC shall adhere to hygiene, cleaning, and disinfection requirements from the CDC and DOH and maintain logs on-site that documents the date, time and scope of cleaning and disinfection.
Staff and children will be required to practice hygiene in the following instances:
- Upon arrival to the first program activity
- Between all program activities
- After using the restroom
- Before eating; and
- Before departing the last program activity
Appropriate cleaning/disinfection supplies shall be provided for shared and frequently touch surfaces and encourage staff to use these supplies before/after use of these surfaces, followed by hand hygiene.
Staff shall regularly clean and disinfect equipment and toys.
Parents will provide their own bedding for rest time. Sheets and blankets will be laundered once a week or as needed. They will be stored in their cubbies,in a covered plastic container.
- The tops, sides, and shelves of the toy storage areas will be cleaned and sanitized .
- The trashcans will be cleaned and sanitized daily.
- The bathroom sinks, faucets, and toilets, will be cleaned and sanitized daily.
3-Step Cleaning Process
Staff will use the 3-step cleaning process for anything that cannot be run through the sanitizer or laundered. The 3-step process is as follows:
- Spray the objects with soapy water and wipe off.
- Spray the objects with clean water and wipe off.
- Spray an approved EPA disinfectant on the objects to sanitize, let sit for a minimum of 2 minutes.
During the day, if any COVID-19 symptoms appear with staff, they will follow the college’s procedures for Isolation.
Children with symptoms will be accompanied by staff (wearing face covering and face shield) and isolated until parents arrive.