School of Education
Faculty and students from Hunter’s School of Education are collaborating with other organizations and institutions to improve the education of East Harlem students. Their work encompasses innovative and culturally responsive teacher training, tutoring, mentoring and enrichment programs.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Nest Program Summer Training Institute, 2002-2021 — Sponsored by the New York City Department of Education, this program provided pre-service training to educators, related-service providers and administrators affiliated with the ASD Nest Program, an inclusion-based model of education serving children with autism spectrum disorder in public schools throughout the five boroughs.
- Hunter College Teacher Opportunity Corps 2 (HCTOC2), 2016 -2021 — HCTOC2 was a five-year grant funded by the New York State Department of Education that increased the number of undergraduate teacher candidates from groups underrepresented in teaching, by providing them with a focused pre-student teaching, clinical experience.
- Hunter College/District 4 READ East Harlem Project, 2014-2020 — The New York Community Trust awarded a multi-year grant to Hunter College to improve student literacy outcomes through a professional development model supporting District 4 educators who teach students in kindergarten through second grade.
- Authentic Assessments in Universal Pre-K, 2015-2019 — With funding from the Foundation of Child Development, faculty collaborated with Pre-K teachers at East Harlem elementary and early education sites to learn about their use of one of three authentic assessments in their pedagogical decision making.
- Training of Fieldwork Support Center Staff Development Trainers, 2018-2021 — A School of Education professor trained the New York City trainers (all districts, including East Harlem) in the area of student behavior assessment and management strategies to spread data-supported, evidence-based strategies that will reduce referrals to special education and disproportionate suspension of minority students.
- Book Gift Drive