A Quick Reference for Faculty and Staff
The following is a quick reference for faculty/staff who may encounter students in crisis. Students in crisis are those who threaten to harm themselves or others, demonstrate significant emotional distress, or are disruptive in class or other public areas. Should you encounter a student who appears to be in crisis, please follow the guidelines below.
- Students who appear to be in MEDICAL DISTRESS:
- Students who cause SIGNIFICANT DISRUPTION to the learning/working environment of the college:
- Refer the incident to the Behavioral Response Team (BRT) by completing our online referral form on our website (below). Simply click on “BRT Referral Form.”
- Students who pose an IMMEDIATE THREAT, meaning they are aggressive, present a threat to self and/or others:
- Students in distress, and/or about whom you have concerns, but are not in crisis:
- Refer to Counseling Services: 212-772-4931 (Monday–Friday 9 am–5 pm).
- Assist in scheduling an appointment or encourage the student to do so from your office , or...
- Walk the student to Room 1123, East Building (Monday–Friday, 9 am–5 pm).
For additional information, visit the following web sites:
After completing our online form, the Behavioral Response Team (BRT) can also be contacted at 212-772- 4878.