Advising and Registration Guide
You are a non-CUNY transfer if you last attended another college/university outside of CUNY. Learn how to prepare to register, register for classes, and make your advising appointment.
Meet With Your Academic Advisor
As a non-CUNY transfer, you are expected to meet with your assigned academic advisor prior to registering for classes. Your academic advisor will be assigned after you have attended a Group Advising Session.
Meeting with your advisor is a necessary step to:
- Analyze and discuss your transfer credits and/or course equivalencies.
- Clarify Hunter’s graduation requirements with your transfer credit information.
- Review, discuss and adjust your class schedule to develop a holistic plan.
- Connect to Hunter resources.
Please keep in mind that academic advisors experience the highest volume of student appointments near the beginning of the semester and you may have to search for meeting dates a week or two in the future.
Register for Classes
To assist with seat availability, Hunter has reserved seats, in the most important and popular courses, specifically for new transfer students. Reserved seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis and we strongly recommend that you register on-time for the widest availability.
Your Enrollment Date/Time will be viewable in your CUNYfirst Student Center.
- Click Course Planning and Enrollment > Enrollment Dates
- Click details to see the exact date/time you may begin registering for classes.
Log into CUNYfirst
Any Hunter-related holds will be viewable in your CUNYfirst Student Center.
- Click Tasks and Holds > Enrollment Dates
- Click details to view details about the holds.
- For more information, contact the Hunter College office that placed the hold. To find a specific department, use the search bar on the Hunter College Students website.
Note: Holds from CUNY schools outside of Hunter do not impact registration at Hunter, except Bursar Holds. All Bursar Holds and/or any Holds from Hunter should be addressed immediately to avoid a delay in your registration.
Log into CUNYfirst
Minimum of 120 credits
Minimum Liberal Arts & Sciences credits based on degree. The majority of classes at Hunter College are classified as Liberal Arts & Science courses. View courses that are not counted as Liberal Arts & Sciences, organized by Department, School, or Program on the Hunter Course Catalog.
You must complete three groups of classes:
- General Education Requirements
- Major Requirements
- General Electives
DegreeWorks is a web-based program that enables you to easily track your academic progress. You will be able to see how specific College requirements have been met and what courses you can take to fulfill the requirements which are remaining.
Log into DegreeWorks to view your academic record and missing requirements.
- Identifies requirements that have been completed.
- Shows requirements that still need to be satisfied.
Need help logging on to CUNYfirst or DegreeWorks? Contact the Student Help Desk.
Log into DegreeWorks
Use DegreeWorks and the Hunter College Catalog (below).
Note: Some classes may not be offered every semester. Make sure to meet any course prerequisite(s) before trying to register for the class.View Undergraduate Catalog
All students are strongly encouraged to register for classes with the CUNY Schedule Builder as soon as possible. Schedule Builder is a real-time class scheduling tool that enables you to plan and register for courses that meet your schedules and other needs.