We kick off each semester with Welcome Week, a variety of events on multiple days. This is a great way to start your Hunter experience and get important tips about campus life.
The New Student Convocation takes place at the end of Welcome Week to celebrate the start of classes. Our Hunter College President welcomes new and returning students to campus.
The Club Fair and Carnival is the biggest event of Welcome Week and coincides with the New Student Convocation. The Club Fair and Carnival features dozens of student clubs and draws over 1,000 students. The attractions and activities include airbrush t-shirts, caricatures, glitter tattoos, popcorn, cotton candy, barbecue and more. This event is free for all current students. Co-sponsored by Student Activities and the Undergraduate Student Government, this event introduces you to campus opportunities and co-curricular activities at Hunter.
When: first week or first two weeks of the semester.
Look for these events and more in your Hunter email, in The Hunter Gatherer newsletter, and on the campus monitors.
More Welcome Week Events
- Student Activities Open House
Learn more about our office, your student government, and student clubs. Join us for icebreakers and prizes.
- Games in the Student Union Game Room
Join us for a variety of multiplayer games while meeting other students!
- Movie Night
Join USG for a movie and discussion.
- DIY Craft Workshops
- Ice Cream Social
- Pizza Night
Join Your Class!
As each semester begins, new freshmen and new transfer students are expected to attend New Student Convocation. This is our official welcome ceremony and celebration exclusively for you. The Hunter College President will host the event, joined by Hunter staff and faculty. We look forward to seeing you there!
Be sure to wear your most fabulous purple attire and help your class kick off the semester!
Talk to some of the fun, creative, inspiring, and educational student-run organizations at Hunter. Share your interests and join a club! Enjoy an assortment of carnival activities and snacks while you mingle with your classmates.
When: First or second week of the semester
Where: 69th Street between Park & Lexington Avenues
West Lobby and 3rd Floor West in case of rain
Get Involved at Hunter College!
Virtually connect with a wide variety of Hunter student-run organizations and support services. Mingle with folks from Hunter offices, programs, and student clubs. Meet old friends and make new ones who share similar interests.
When: in February.
Participating Hunter offices and services include:
- Athletics and Recreation
- Navigate for Students
- Office of Student Activities
- Pre-Law Program
- Counseling and Wellness Services
- CUNY Edge
- Graduate Student Government
- Undergraduate Admissions & Recruitment
- Undergraduate Student Government
Participating Student Clubs have included:
- Association of Business Students
- Bangladesh Development Project
- Be the Match
- Black Student Union
- Chinese Christian Fellowship
- Circle K International
- Catholic Medical Mission Board
- Cooperman Business Center
- Developer Student Club
- Eta Sigma Phi
- Eugenio Maria de Hostos Puerto Rican & Multicultural Club
- Gay Men's Alliance
- Get to Know Hunter Hillel
- Gift of Life
- Health Literacy Initiative
- Hunter College AANAPISI Project
- Internationalist Club
- InterVarsity Christian Fellowship
- K-Pop Club
- Kappa Sigma Spring
- Lesbians Rising
- Linguistics Association
- Music is Medicine
- Musical Empowerment Club
- Muslim Student Association
- Out in STEM
- Pre-Veterinary Club
- Rehabilitation Therapy Club
- Renew Democracy Initiative
- She's the First
- Sikh Student Association
- Southwest Asian and North African Women Association
- Taiwanese Student Association
- The Palestine Solidarity Alliance
- The Photographers' Collective
- Theatre Company
- Theta Phi Gamma
- Vietnamese Student Association Open House
- Zeta Phi Alpha Info Session
The Student Activities Multicultural Exchange (SAME) is a series of exciting events and workshops that address issues of diversity and multiculturalism on campus.
- Encourage a climate of mutual respect among members of the Hunter Community.
- Increase your awareness of your own culture and others.
- Engage and support our cultural, religious and social justice clubs.
- Inspire action and encourage you to address social injustice.
De-stress Before Finals!
The Stress Free Zone is offered before fall and spring semester final examinations to promote relaxation and wellness, as students head into the busy final weeks of each semester. Join us in activities that increase your focus, help you relax, and reduce anxiety.
Stress Free Zone Events
- Aroma and Sound Therapy
- Nap Zone
- DIY Crafts
- Tea Tasting and other socials
- Free Snacks and Beverages
When: Multiple days before finals.
Look for these events and more in your email, The Hunter Gatherer and on the campus monitors in the week before finals begin.
Finals Fever is a fun-filled gathering with free food and activities.
This is a “last hurrah!” for graduating students as well as for those finishing the semester classes.
CUNY conferences offer opportunities to present your projects or research, while CUNY workshops provide leadership-building activities and networking. Topics include ethics and team-building. One program prepares newly elected student government members to represent their constituents. Citizenship Now assists permanent residents with their citizenship applications. Learn more about these events across CUNY campuses.See the Conference & Workshop Schedule
The Summer Event Series is designed to welcome first-year and transfer students enrolled in summer classes to Hunter College. These events provide new students with an opportunity to connect with the Hunter College community while enjoying fun, off-campus activities.
Previous trips include walking the High Line, visits to the Whitney and Met Cloisters Museums, and exploring Central Park.