Laptop Loans for Students
Laptops are available to Hunter students on loan for one semester at a time. Students must be enrolled for the term in which the loan is being requested.
Please review the eligibility criteria and participation terms on the request form. After submitting your request, a staff member will contact you with additional details.
Students may borrow equipment, at no charge, to support their Hunter College classes, clubs, organizations or events with permission of the course instructor, staff mentor or department head.
Hunter's Audio Visual (A/V) Department does restrict the use of its equipment to the college campus. Requests for equipment use off-campus will be reviewed individually on a case-by-case basis by the A/V director or manager. Equipment is not provided for the personal use of employees, students or the public.
Equipment is loaned for the length of time needed. Typically, that is a day or two but can be longer if the situation warrants it. This is for two reasons:
- If the equipment is at A/V, it is available for the next person who needs it.
- Since the person borrowing the equipment is financially responsible for its loss and damage, it is in their interest to return it to A/V when they aren’t using it. The longer a person has borrowed equipment, the greater chance of it being misplaced, stolen or forgotten.
The A/V Department does not provide equipment to the public. The only non-Hunter college events A/V supports occur on the Hunter campus and are scheduled and billed by the Office of Central Reservations.
The person who borrows equipment is responsible for returning it on time and undamaged:
- Costs for damage and theft will be billed to the borrower. (The authorizing department may be held partially responsible if the equipment use was required.)
- Late returns may result in suspension of borrowing privileges.
Equipment may be returned during A/V’s business hours. In the event A/V is closed during the time of your scheduled return, the equipment must be returned the following business day, in which case the equipment must be kept in a double lock room.
Laptops are loaned for:
- Short-term use, normally up to one week.
- Occasional use, such as several times per semester.
- Long-term use may be accommodated upon review by the A/V manager.
Laptops are not loaned for:
- Sabbaticals, extended lengths of time, back-to-back renewals, or because the borrower needs an extra computer in their home or office.
Because laptops are such an appealing theft-target, users are required to personally pick up a laptop when borrowing it. The A/V staff will not deliver laptops to classrooms unless the student or instructor has a physical impairment.Request a Student Laptop/Tablet Loan